I was looking for a fun snack to take to Ashlyne’s kindergarten class and wanted it to be something fun she and I could make together. The snack had to be allergy-free and popcorn ended up being a great option. So, how could we make popcorn fun for class? I pinned a few things and found an adorable snack butterfly online. It had grapes and gold-fish but we went with the same concept.
- Clothes Pins
- Zip-Loc Sandwich Bags
- Colorful Pipe Cleaners
- Popcorn (or the snack of your choice)
We bought everything we needed at Walmart for this project but you can find these items at the grocery stores and craft stores as well.
- Decorate the clothes pins. It was fun having Ashlyne help me color all the clothes pins. She loved it and it was really helpful to me as I did step #2 at the same time.
- Fill the sandwich bag about 1/2 full of popcorn.
- Zip the bag together and try and get as much air out of it as you can.
- Cut the pipe cleaners to the appropriate length (we cut ours in half). Curve the end and add cute curls to make the antennae.
- Pinch the middle of the bag together leaving equal amounts of popcorn on each side.
- Add the pipe-cleaner antennae to the top and then use the clothes pint to clip it all together.
Walla! You just created a fun snack that all kids will enjoy!
We also made this cute guy thinking we would glue googly-eyes on each one. After the first one, I reminded myself this was for a snack and googly-eyes were not really necessary or time efficient:) The kids loved them sans the googly-eyes and it was a fun project both mother and daughter could work on together!