This recipe is Ann’s adaption of the original chex mix recipe. Feel free to add more nuts or items to the mix but this is the standard recipe that we use! And trust me – this recipe makes the chex mix crunchy and warm with butter and garlic. You can’t go wrong :) One of Shawn’s favorites too!
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- In a big bowl add:
– 1-2 cups of mixed nuts (we typically just use cashews though)
– 3 cups each of Rice, Corn and Wheat Chex’s (the cereal)
– 2 cups stick pretzels
Stir around carefully to mix up the cereal mixture
- In glass bowl add:
– 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
– 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
– 1 1/2 teaspoons of Season All (seasoning salt)
– 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
Put in microwave on low power for 2-3 minutes to melt butter, stir well (will be gritty but all butter should be melted)
- Pour 1/4 of melted seasoning mixture over the cereal mixture and stir well
Repeat until all of seasoning mix is used up
- Pour onto an ungreased cookie sheet and smooth it out to where it is somewhat level so it will cook evenly. It doesn’t have to be perfectly flat because you will stir it up during baking.
- Put into preheated oven (250 degrees) for 15 minutes then remove from oven and pour back into big bowl. Stir for 2-3 minutes being careful not to crush cereal.
- Put back on cookie sheet and cook for 15 minutes.
- Repeat until you have cooked it for a total of 1 hour.
- When finished cooking, let it sit out until thoroughly cooled. It will get crispy as it cools.
- Store in airtight container.
We hope you enjoy this recipe! I know we will be making 2 batches of this for our Christmas trip to the mountains next week!