Does anyone else out there hate doing laundry as much as I do? It’s kind of like the saying, “The more I do laundry, the more nudist seem less crazy!” I really don’t mind doing the actual load (the easy part), but the aftermath (folding, ironing, etc.) is just plain miserable. If you saw how our laundry room was painted a hideous yellow mustard color by the previous owners, you would also understand how this area of the house did nothing to improve my feelings about doing laundry! Because our laundry room is also the room we come in and out of every day (through the garage), I decided it really should be a relaxing area of our house and needed a makeover.
I started the makeover about a month ago by painting the walls a dark, warm grey color (‘Magnet’ by Behr to be exact). It only took me a couple hours to paint since the room is so small.
After giving my handsome, handyman husband of mine 3 months off from house projects, I somehow convinced him to help me build a DIY window valance. The laundry room window is small and I hadn’t seen anything on the market that I liked for a window covering (plus roman shades can be expensive!). So instead, I just decided we could easily build one. We hang most of our clothing up to dry on the rod in front of the window so our goal, in addition to being aesthetically pleasing, was to ensure the covering did not interfere with the laundry.
My initial idea was that I’d use my salvaged pallet would that I found behind Walmart to build a valance and cover it with pieces of fabric from a curtain I found at TJ Maxx. After brainstorming with Shawn, he convinced me that while it would be nice to salvage the pallet wood for this project, we needed to buy new wood to make sure it wasn’t warped and would fit neatly together, as well as be smooth under the fabric. Shawn also came up with the idea to wrap each of the pallet sections individually to add texture to the fabric (and he says I’m the brains of these projects?! I definitely lucked out with this guy!).
So off we went to home depot! The entire project cost less than $40.
- Curtain ~ $19.99 TJMaxx – it came with two panels and I still have one full panel of fabric left over)
- Wood ~ $8.35
- One 2 x 4 – $2.74
- Three 1 x 4 – $1.87 x 3 = $5.61
- Brackets ~ $4.50 x 2 brackets
- Screws ~ $2.00
Other items we already had and used:
- 18 gauge Staples
- Upholstery staples
- Air compressor & Staple gun
- Circle saw & workbench
- Tape measure
We measured the window and decided that the valance should be 31.5” across. We cut three 30” long pieces of wood out of the 1” x 4” board. Then we cut six squares of 3.5”. Kind of crazy but did you know that 1” x 4” boards are really only 3.5” wide – not 4”? So tricky! Make sure to measure your board before cutting! Then we cut one extra piece that we used as the top of the valance box (31.5” long to fit over the wood square ends and the main 30” piece in the middle). Using 18 GA staples and our staple gun, we stapled a wood square piece to each end of one of the 30” boards.
I wrapped each of the pallet sections in fabric and using a staple gun, upholestered the pieces. Make sure to keep your corners conistent and fold them very neatly for a polished look.
Then we bracketed the three pallet pieces together using steel brackets and screws.
We screwed in a small piece (26” in length) of 2″ x 4” wood to the wall. Windows are normally framed with studs so we knew it would hold the weight as long as we used long enough screws for support.
Once our valance was finished, we hung the valance on top of the 2″ x 4″ so that it was resting on it. Using our 18 gauge staples, we stapled the top into the 2″ x 4″ to secure it in place. We decided to use staples because screws would be very noticeable (whereas staples are very small so you can’t see them very well on top of the fabric).
I am really happy with how it turned out and am SO glad Shawn helped me or else it might have turned out otherwise! It really wasn’t too difficult of a project though and you could definitely do it in an afternoon. Plus you can use any fabric you want.
Stay tuned for the final reveal which will include cabinets and countertops being updated too!