Shared from Pat Cramer & Lindsey McGehee’s kitchens. (I received this exact same recipe from Pat and Lindsey who live in completely different parts of the country so it MUST be popular!) Pat calls it “Heart Attack Surprise” and Lindsey calls it “Caramel Fudge Brownies.” This might be one of the BEST brownie recipes I’ve ever had!
Time needed: 30 min
– 1 package caramels
– 1 can evaporated milk
– 1 german or swiss chocolate cake mix
– ¾ cup butter
– 12 oz pack of chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, cake mix, and ½ cup evaporated milk together. NOTE: Do not make the cake mix as shown on cake mix box – only use the powdered mix when mixing with butter and milk!
- Put ½ of mixture in 9” x 13” pan and bake at 350 degrees for 8 min.
- While baking, melt caramels in 1/3 cup evaporated milk over stove.
- Remove baked mix from oven and pour caramels over the pan.
- Sprinkle pan with chocolate chips.
- Carefully spread the other half of cake mixture on top of the chocolate chips.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool in refrigerator before cutting 1.5” squares.
- Also delightful if frozen.