This is Shawn’s favorite recipe that his mom makes. It is the best meatloaf I’ve ever had too!
Time needed: 1 hr 15 min
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 small white or yellow onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Brown sugar
- 1/2 to 2 lbs of ground round or sirloin
- Add 1 cup of brown sugar in small bowl and then stir in 1/2 of the can of tomato sauce. Mix together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the meat, chopped onion, remaining 1/2 of the can of tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of ketchup, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mustard, and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Mix together lightly and then form a loaf.
- Place the loaf in a loaf pan (glass or metal) and then crisscross the top with ketchup (I use lots!)
- Cook at 350 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain any fluids.
- Once drained, pour the brown sugar mix that was reserved above over the top of the meatloaf and cook for an additional 30 min uncovered.
This recipe originally came from Shawn’s grandmother and the secret is you can reduce the amount of sugar you put in but you just can’t remove it or it won’t be the same! :)