This is my experiment but of course the tried and true ingredients known to most people. By the time I wrote this down, I realized my “7 layer dip” actually has 9 layers! But some people don’t like black olives, green onions, green chiles, etc. and some might think you don’t need tomatoes when you already have salsa….So feel free to take this recipe and make what you want with it! This is one of my favorites and always a crowd pleaser!
Time needed: 10 min
Difficulty: Easy (no cooking required!!)
– 1 can refried beans
– 1 cup chunky salsa
– 1 cup guacamole (1 avocado, garlic powder, salt, lime juice, 1/2 cup salsa)
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1 Chopped roma tomato
– 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
– Sliced black olives
– Green onions
– Green chile (Use as much to your liking….I normally use about 1 cups/1 cans worth)
I normally make this for parties so use a large 9 x 13 pan and double the recipe above. Take all of the ingredients and spread into your size pan to your liking though (smaller pan, less ingredients, etc.). You are going to layer each ingredient in a smooth layer on top of each other. I will explain how I normally do the layers but feel free to change it up!
- Put thin layer of refried beans on bottom of dish.
- Create the guacamole and spread thin layer on top of beans:
- Shell the avocado and remove the pit; put into a small bowl.
- Add ½ tablespoon of garlic powder and ½ tablespoon of salt.
- Mix juice of ½ lime
- Spread thin layer of salsa on top of guacamole.
- Spread thin layer of green chile on top of salsa (or mix both together and spread).
- Spread thin layer of sour cream on top of salsa.
- Spread chopped tomato on top of sour cream.
- Add thin layer of cheese on top of tomatoes.
- Add black olives on top of cheese.
- Add green onions on top of black olives.
Typically makes TONS – 10-15+ people. Another idea is that you could add shredded iceberg lettuce (beneath the cheese, olives, and green onions) and make it a 10 layer dip!